Saturday, August 7, 2010

Vacation Bible School 2010!

This past week our church hosted Vacation Bible school - we have it every year the first week in August. Our church does an AMAZING job thanks to lots and lots of wonderful volunteers.

This year the theme was EGYPT and it was sooo cool! My girls were both there and had the time of their lives. I was the crafts leader for the 6th/7th graders and we had a great time in our group too.

A few fun/funny things to note ....

See these masks below? My oldest daughter's group made these one night and were told that one mask would be chosen to be the winning mask and be in the skit on the last night. My daughter said 'I really hope they choose my mask!' - well guess what? They did! She was super excited! Hers is the one in the bottom middle with the blue feather on the chin.

Here is a cute pic of my youngest with one of her best friends.
And here is my smiley, happy oldest daughter ...
On Wednesday night we had 'water night' - they bring in big inflatable slides and the kids have a blast. They also serve cotton candy and it's just a really fun night. So I was sitting in the Bible lesson with my group when my Mom came by {my Mom was leading the kitchen crew all week} and said 'come here I have a story to tell you!'
Apparently my Mom was outside near the cotton candy machine when this little girl said to her 'I've already had FOUR cotton candys!!' SO my Mom was like 'uh oh, your Mom sure won't appreciate that when you won't go to sleep tonight.' and the girl said 'that's OK, I'm sleeping over at Miss Kathy's house tonight!!' -- yep, it was one of my daughter's best friends who was going to spend the night at our house .... below you can see her happy, sugared- up expression! hahahaha! {Side note - the girls DID sleep that night, I think they went to bed around midnight!}
Here is a pic of the huge, inflatable slip and slide!
On the ride home each night I loved listening to the girls tell all kinds of fun stories about the things they did. They were really sad to see VBS end last night!
There were about a dozen kids who accepted Christ this week which is amazing and definitely what it's all about!
The kids also brought in money to help support a missionary who is living and working in Africa and the money was going to help some orphaned kids so they could have shoes, school clothes and supplies. All together they raised over $1,200 for the orphans!!! Last night as we were driving home my oldest was gushing about how much money was raised and she said 'I am SO happy for those orphans that so much money was raised!' -- I love that she gets that VBS is more than just fun and games and that she has such a kind and giving heart.
All in all it was an amazing week. I will admit that I'm exhausted. I came home on the train on Monday night just in time to get to church for VBS, I've been battling a yucky cold and sore throat all week and it's very tiring getting home at 9 or 9:30 every night. But despite all that it's SOOO worth it and I can't wait till next year!
Sorry for the lack of pictures .... I was so busy all week that I didn't take ANY and had to rely on the photographers at church for the above images!

No comments: