Saturday, March 21, 2009

Saturday Morning

Daddy snuggles up with his girls to watch cartoons for a little while before he has to head off to work for the day. The girls love Saturday mornings because it's the one day when I let them watch cartoons in the morning.

Yummy Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins ... {recipe below}
From Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook:

Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar {divided}
1/2 cup Natural Peanut Butter
1/2 cup carrot or cauliflower puree
1/2 cup banana puree
1 large egg white
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray

In a large mixing bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, the peanut butter, the vegetable and banana purees and the egg white.

Add the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy, do not overmix. Add the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and stir once or twice - it doesn't have to be totally mixed in - just stir a little till it's somewhat folded in. {Adding this part of the brown sugar at the end gives them a nice crunchy exterior on the top.}

Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups {I found that it really only makes about 10 but you could make them smaller and stretch it to 12}.

Bake for 15-20 min until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.

Store in an airtight container for about 2 days {if they last that long! they don't around this house!} Or freeze for up to a month.

ENJOY!!!

**OOOPS, I almost forgot to mention, it looks like these add up to be about 4 points each according to Weight Watchers ... definitely a little on the high side considering I usually eat 2 muffins at a sitting. I might try to tweak the recipe a little to try to lighten it up ... I'll let you know what I come up with! {Perhaps, I should just eat ONE muffin with some yogurt or fruit??}

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, those look super yummy! How do you make the puree. do you cook the veggies and then just blend them like baby food?

Kathy said...

Depends on the veggie or fruit you are using. Bananas can simply be mashed, carrots can be pureed in a food processor or chopper, stuff like sweet potatoes I would cook first, then mash ... etc ...

I think she gives all the details in the front part of her cookbook.