I know it's a little early but I figured that if any of you wanted to try this tradition this year you would need a few days to prepare.
Last year we started this new and fun tradition with the girls. Each day in December, leading up to Christmas Day, they get to open up and read a new book.
What I do is I wrap up 24 books and place them under the tree. Some are books for them to keep and some are library books. Some are holiday related and some are not. You can choose how you want to do it.
So I wrap up all the books and put them under the tree and each evening we open one book and read it together. I love that it's helping reinforce the reading that we're trying to teach, it keeps their love of books strong and it just makes the waiting for Christmas gifts a little easier to bear.
Last year the girls loved it! My mother in law got in on the fun this year and told me that she's already found some fun books to add to the tradition - she got a cook book and a craft book too so it doesn't just have to be about reading, it can be a book where you do something fun together like bake a special treat from the cookbook or you create a fun craft together. (Maybe even a coloring book would be fun?)
If you want to start this tradition this year don't fret if you don't have 24 new books to give to your kids - simply make a trip to the library and pick up a bunch of books and wrap them up! (Just don't forget when their due date is!) December 1st is just a little over a week away, so if you want to try this start looking around for some books!
1 comment:
Kathy! This is a fab idea! I love reading and so does Vienna! Lance is finally coming onboard too after months of simply eating books. LOL!
Kids love presents and this is awesome!
(My countdown to Xmas involves 24 magnets that make up a manger scene. As we pull a piece out one a day, we talk about it and add it to our display. It's a great discussion and teaching tool. - I save the baby Jesus for last too. This year I also want to do the chocolates in the window thing but I LOVE THE PRESENT IDEA! Even if I wrap her own books. That's so fun to open gifts!) Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment