Thursday, January 17, 2008

Drop in guests

Recently I've been involved in several discussions about 'drop in guests'. So I figured it made for good blogging material and also a way for me to challenge myself.

Basically, the 'drop in guest' is someone who just stops by your house unannounced. As I was talking about this with a friend I couldn't even remember the last time someone had just dropped in. I think one reason is that so many of the people I know lead busy lives ... myself included! And most of us wouldn't take the time to drive to someone's house unless we knew for sure they would be there.

Another very important topic came up as well. Would you welcome someone in to your home who had just dropped by? Well yes of course, I might say ... but what if my house was a disaster?? Would I be able to physically sit and enjoy the company of a friend, without frantically rushing about to pick things up or apologizing profusely about all the clutter and mess??

As I pondered these things I realized this is an area that I really need to work on. Not just my house, but my heart. Yes, I like to have a clean, organized house ... and if I was expecting company you can bet I'd make it clean before they came. But the truth is, my house is often very messy! Dishes in the sink, laundry on the floor, kids toys, books and coats everywhere .... and most of the time my one bathroom is pretty gross too! (I'm so ashamed to admit that!)

But I could almost bet that if any one of my friends stopped by unexpectedly they wouldn't care! They would want to chat and hang out and would see that I'm a real Mom, with a real house. (the lived in look is what I like to call it!)

So my challenge to myself is to really take this to heart. To try my best to make sure my home is picked up as much as possible, but to not stress if it isn't.
And now I just need some drop in guests to test it out for me! So come on over, I always have coffee and tea, my kids don't nap so no need to worry about that, and I would love to have company!

4 comments:

Pauleen said...

You bet - if we were still the area I would make it over to your home. I love drop in guests. The topic gives me something to think about - for sure.

HopiQ said...

I've been thinking a lot about this as well. I love having drop-in guests, and I'm learning to bite my tongue about the state of the house and just express how happy I am to see my friends. My heart is slowly turning to match my mouth because I inwardly cringe at the mess that our house is often found. I worry more about the appearance of the house and how that reflects on me -- worry about what people will think of me -- than giving my attention to meeting the needs of my guests and letting them know how important they are to me.

I'm learning that the Lord wants to use my home for His glory and for sweet fellowship rather than a showplace to showcase my stuff or my culinary skills (which I don't have anyway!) Of course I want my house clean and good food ready, but that is not the focus of getting together.

It's actually easier for me to feel at home when I visit a friend if the house isn't picked up or perfect. I feel like I can grab something out of the frig and be myself! It also is a great sign that they're just being themselves, too. It's kind of a comfort actually knowing that I am not alone in my imperfection.

Love your post!

Williams' Family said...

Wish I could just "drop in"!

kbmama said...

Okay first of all, you are such a wonderful hostess and friend who cares about your house! I know I love to chat in a lived in house, it makes me feel at home and not akward sitting in a Better Homes and Garden house! It shows we are busy families and family comes first. We don't live in filth by any means!!!
So I'm with you, time to not worry and welcome visitors. Let's start that old tradition up again. Of course, it's a bit of a ride to drop in on each other, but let's start the movement by blog!!!!
By the Way, I love your new blog. You are turning into a professional blogger! Everytime I log on I have to check out one of your new add-ons. I just checked out the READY button. Thank you!