Thursday, December 20, 2007

Hold them a little longer

After reading about Ellie this morning (see previous post) it just made me want to hold my kids a little longer today. I keep thinking all day about how fast the years go and how quickly life can change.

It's not easy to take the extra time with your kids. At least it's not for me. I often find myself rushing them off to play because I have so many things to do and so little time to get them done.

Today has been one of those days. But for some reason J has been having a really hard day. Just crying a lot and having a rough day. I finally took her and sat in the rocker and held her for quite a while. Sure enough she ended up falling asleep in my arms. She's almost 5 and never takes a nap anymore ... and I can't even remember the last time she fell asleep in my arms.


My first thought was to quickly move her to her bed so I could 'get stuff done'. But then I thought again about Ellie. Her parents will never again get the chance to rock their little girl to sleep and hold her in their arms while they listen to her sweet breath. So I held J for awhile. I just stayed their and enjoyed the silence and some time to just thank God for the blessing of my two beautiful, healthy children.

I hope as we get closer to Christmas day, with all the last minute plans and things that need to be done ... that you will do as I plan to do, to take those few extra moments to hold your kids a little tighter, rock them a little longer, listen to their sweet laughter, cherish the moments of their delight in the little things, and just love them a little more.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Thank you for the beautiful reminder.

Pauleen said...

Me to Kathy - they were my thoughts also. Thanks!