Courtney from Women Living Well is doing a little fall challenge called Making Your Home a Haven. I honestly feel that this is something I'm truly passionate about.
We have a small house. It's taken me a really long time to come to a place of contentment about my home. Some days I still long for something bigger, newer, nicer, in a different neighborhood, etc. But MOST days lately I am truly happy and content with my home.
I want my home to be a place where it is comfortable, cozy, welcoming and warm. Not too fancy so it feels stuffy or people worry about messing it up.
I can't really say I have a specific decorating style either. I used to be all into Country decor, then got away from it a little and starting adding in a mash-mash of things. I guess if I had to define my style I'd call it comfy American with a tiny eclectic mix. =)
Courtney's first challenge this week was to light a candle in your home every day and every time you pass by the flame you say a prayer for peace in your home. I want our home to be a place where peace and love reigns. I want us to love one another well, take care of each other and feel at peace with each other while here. I want this to be a safe and comfortable HAVEN for when we each get home at the end of a long day.
I love lighting candles, especially this time of year, so this challenge is a great start for me. I do need to pray more diligently for my family though.
One of our family's verses is displayed on our living room wall ... it's a great reminder of how to treat one another. It's Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."
This is my living room, you can see the verse on the wall on the far right. =)
Feel free to join in on the challenge! The more the merrier!

4 comments:
You know what? I don't think my house is much bigger than yours (if you count the basement at your house). We downsized when we moved here b/c of real estate prices and I have to say that I think small homes are almost automatically cozier. It was so hard for me to think of getting rid of a ton of stuff and living in a small space - and while it would be nice to have one more small room to use as an office when Livi comes, overall (I can't believe I'm saying this!) I'm liking a smaller house. It's cozier and I'm forced to be more intentional with my decorating - there's not these big gaps of space anywhere that feel barren. I remember one of my aunts bought a huge house but took years to decorate it and for the longest time some of the giant rooms only had 1-2 pieces of furniture in it. It felt so cold and lifeless.
For what it's worth, I think your house is super welcoming and cozy! :)
Didn't know you were doing this challenge too. I love your home and it definitely is warm and inviting. :o)
I gotta get more verses up!
Hi I am joining this challenge again this year. Your home is so sweet and cozy!!! God bless you,
By His Grace,
Adrienne
And I can totally relate to how you felt about your home. I live in a cozy home as well, but I am finding contentment here and making it my haven.
Post a Comment