So my girls started public school this week for the first time. Well sort of, my oldest attended 2 yrs of preschool, then a public school for kindergarten, and then we have homeschooled her for 1st-5th. My youngest attended 2 yrs of preschool, but has been homeschooled ever since {K-3rd}. So basically all they can remember is being homeschooled.
I have a lot to tell about their first few days of school including lots of fun pictures. But first I just want to get something off my chest that has been bothering me a lot lately.
Making the decision to homeschool was one of the most difficult decisions we ever made as parents ... making the decision to send them 'back to school' was even harder. Neither decision was made quickly or naively. We went through months of prayer and research and thought before making BOTH choices.
When it comes right down to it we feel that we followed where the Lord led us in BOTH decisions. Way back when we chose to homeschool we clearly felt the Lord leading us to do that. This year we clearly felt the Lord asking us to make the next step and send them back into regular school. We asked many of our closest family and friends to pray with us that we would clearly see the Lord's direction in each of these choices.
What bothers me is feeling judged for our decisions. I have a lot of friends who homeschool and a lot of friends who send their kids to public school or even a few who send their kids to private school. I KNOW that I know that each of these parents has done what they think is the best thing for each child of theirs. I even know some parents who have one in school and one homeschooling.
As Moms we make hundreds of choices on our child's behalf, we decide if we will nurse them or bottle feed, we choose cloth or disposable diapers, we say no to TV or we allow it ... the point is - each Mom {or parent} makes choices they feel are right for THEIR CHILD or children. So who are we to judge one another??
When I homeschooled one thing that drove me batty was the general 'holier than thou' attitude that many homeschooling parents have. I LOVED homeschooling, I LOVED having my girls home with me, I LOVED making our own schedule, I LOVED so many great things that are HUGE benefits to homeschooling ... but I NEVER judged my friends who chose public school. Every child is different, every parent is different, every family situation is different.
I am SO thankful for the years we had to homeschool. Who knows, maybe someday we'll do it again?! But for now I am thankful for the girl's schools and teachers who so far have been incredible. We are choosing to take their education one year at a time and let the Lord lead our decision making each year.
I've been really hurt lately over a few people who seem to disagree with our decision. Sometimes it's a person's silence that shows they don't agree with you, sometimes it's a rude comment {meant to be funny, but honestly just rude} that lets me know they don't agree with it, sometimes it's just the constant questioning of 'what if?' .... Some times I think people don't realize how hurtful it can be.
Honestly I know I shouldn't care what others think. And I really don't mind if people do not share our choices or our opinions on public school OR homeschool. I'm not saying everyone has to believe the same as us or do what we do. But I'm just saying it's hurtful. I do care.
Beyond that I want to say that for the small handful of 'naysayers' there have been HUGE amounts of wonderfully supportive friends and family. I am SO SO SO thankful for all the people who prayed for us and who have encouraged us this week with emails, notes, texts, prayers, and encouragements. We ARE blessed to have so many people who care about us.
We have clearly seen the Lord work out so many neat details for our girls over and over again as we've made this BIG transition back into school and for that I am SO thankful! {And I promise the next post will be much more fun and upbeat.} Thanks for letting me vent! =)
9 comments:
Hi,Kathy! I'm sorry that you are feeling judged by (of ALL people) your friends, church friends, and/or family. I've always said, "God bless the homeschool mom's/families, but I just couldn't do it with my boys." I KNOW myself all to well for that. ;) You know what is best for you and yours. Everyone has the right to make the decisions as they see fit. It isn't anyone's place to judge you or tell you that you are wrong. Think of it this way...it's really THEIR issue if they can't handle the fact you made a different decision then they did. To each their own. Live your life...love your life! <3
Julie Rivera :D
Oh Kathy.... you did what's right for you and your family. I think homeschooling is wonderful but I don't do it and I know I couldn't. My sister does it and she does a wonderful job at it. You should be so proud of yourself for doing it for so long and giving them a great start! I can't wait to see first day pictures!
When we were considering starting I remember being surprised by the militant attitudes of some homeschoolers. I had assumed that most were the same as us, just doing year-by-year what was best for our kids. Keep up the good work Kathy and do what you are lead to. :)
I am sorry to hear that you are feeling judged. If anything, I am so proud of you for following the leading of the Lord. I can't imagine sending my kids off on that big yellow bus just yet.
This week, when the kids and I have had fun laughing together during our school days, I have thought of you and how difficult it will be to not be around your girls all the time. It made me savor the moments I have right now all the more. (Well, maybe not the melt downs!)
Ryan and I have agreed to pray each year and follow what the Lord instructs us to do, too. So I know that I may be walking your road in the future. Watching you take this leap of faith and trust is a great encouragement to me. In writing this, I was reminded of Eph. 6:13, "Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that...you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." Though it is not easy sometimes, we just have to stand in what we know is right even if no one else understands. I will be praying for God's comfort in this time of standing in faith, believing God will work everything for good because you love Him.
Kathy - be encouraged tonight, knowing that there are lots of out there who absolutely agree with you - that it is a daily struggle-this decisionmakingparenting thing! "Taking up your cross" means different things to different people. The key is that you are taking it up with HIM. That's what matters...not the opinion of people. I have plenty who disagree that my children are in public school, but that's absolutely where God has them again this year. I'm grateful for the opportunities to actively listen to God's leading and actively react to it in His will! I can't imagine just doing things based on preference or convenience or ease. Too much pressure! So glad we serve a God who knows our future, knows our plans, and knows that we are made of dust - and completely His! Be blessed and enjoy this year in Him! Love to you!!!
Kathy, I'm so sorry you feel judged! I felt the same way at first, along with a HUGE amount of guilt like I wasn't making the right "Christian" choice., even though it's the way we had been led to follow. And now with my brother and SIL having kids now, it's like we're side-by-side in Christian parenting but making those different choices, and it's been a HUGE challenge for me, like I always have to defend my choice or explain myself. I'm so glad you read that Public School book, it was a huge encouragement to me. And I've since settled into a great peace and confidence about our decision and the guilt has dropped away (for the most part). And yesterday a friend of mine passed along this article to me, and it reinforced my "do both" sort of schooling method. http://simplemom.net/the-public-school-parents-guide-to-learning-at-home/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+simplemom+%28Simple+Mom%29 I hope this is a fantastic year for all of you! It won't always go perfectly smoothly, but that's life, and it's how we handle those bumps that keeps us growing and becoming more Christlike!
Just want to say that I think you are a GREAT mom and I'm sorry you've had some unkind things said to you!
I was homeschooled *and* went to public school, have a teaching degree, have worked in all grades at a variety of public, private, and Christian schools, and have a husband who attended Christian school his entire life. All that to say, I feel pretty confident in telling you there really is *NO* perfect choice. Having been homeschooled, I've seen the "holier" attitudes, too, and it is super discouraging - I'm sorry you've seen that from some people. They are God's girls and you are just following His lead!
*hugs* :)
I approach it year by year too and could have written much of what u said.. Except I haven't felt any negativity that you wrote about from either side! You wrote it well about how we make big decisions like breast feeding vs bottle from the beginning. I think if you are getting negativity it is from the most insecure of parents. They probably make their comments from that guilt place. or they're just plain naive. Bottom line is that you consider your children's best interest and do what's best for your family. Thanks for sharing!
Kathy-
I agree completely with your blog and will be praying for you. I have felt the same way often for various reasons with my kids. However I agree with you that each child is different, each family is different and as long as we are moving forward in any decision prayerfully God will bless that and show us the way. I will keep you in my prayers my friend. I am excited for you and the girls this year. We have found that God has really opened doors and used us in tons of ways for His glory in the schools and the community. Keep up the great work!
Post a Comment