Sunday, May 20, 2012

5K Race

About a year and a half ago I decided I wanted to learn how to run. Sounds funny, I mean who doesn't know how to run? But every time I would try to run for exercise I would barely make it 30 seconds and I'd be heaving in pain, side stitches killing me and legs cramping up. Running has NEVER come easy to me even way back when I was a kid.

But my hubby comes from a family of runners, his Dad has even run the Boston Marathon several times. His Mom used to run {but now because of injuries does other exercise}, my hubby and his 2 brothers were all runners. We definitely came from different families as no one in my family was into running. {Baseball/softball was always our thing growing up.}

Anyway, I decided I'd like to learn to run. It's always nice when you and your husband have more things in common that you can do or share together. And since he was a runner and would sometimes do 5k races, I wanted to do it too. So I used a program called the Couch to 5k - basically it takes you from being a Couch Potato {which I was pretty close to being!} to being able to run a 5k in about 8 weeks.

So I started training in August of 2010 with the goal of running a 5k on Thanksgiving Day. And I did it! I went from not being able to run for more than 30 seconds to being able to run for a whole half hour! I was shocked to see that the program really does work if you take it slow and do it one step at a time {no pun intended!}.

Since then I have run in (5) 5k races!! And this year I have a couple more I'm planning to do. Each time my goal is simply to run the whole time without walking but interestingly I have somehow managed to improve my time every single time.

Yesterday I ran a 5k with a couple friends and my hubby. The race was actually a bit longer than a 5k, it was 3.425 miles. My friend on the left just did the Couch to 5k plan starting this January and this was her 2nd 5k - she has done AMAZING for someone who just started running this year! My friend in the middle has been running for years and definitely beat my time, she has been a great inspiration to me in my fitness goals. And I'm on the right in my cotton candy colors. I asked for a ticket to the Diva Dash for Mother's Day and hubby was so great, he paid for the ticket AND took my shopping for a new running outfit! I LOVE bright colors and love the lightweight feel of my new outfit.



My overall time at yesterday's race was 34.04 which was a 9.56 mile! I usually do between a 10 and 12 min mile so I was THRILLED that I have improved my time!

I'm here to encourage you that if you have something you've been wanting to try but were too afraid or thought you couldn't do it - just TRY! Set a goal, go out there and give it your best shot. You'll never know if you can do something unless you give it your best shot!

6 comments:

PamelaJolooksforward said...

Great job, Kathy! Very proud of you!

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

You give me hope! You get faster each time? YAY! Maybe I'll get faster and not come in with the last quarter of people. When I'm running, I really feel like I'm going fast but my place says otherwise - haha! I'm not down on myself at all cause I ran for 37min straight baby! I'm super excited that I can do that no matter the speed! YAY TO US!!!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

wow, that's an incredible shaving off of your time (sounds weird but you know what i mean!) congrats!

Cass said...

Rock Star!

Sandra said...

Great job, Kathy!