Thursday, September 27, 2007

An easy and yummy supper for those busy nights.

Tonight was the first night of Girl Scouts for H. So that means that Thursday nights we will be eating a little later AND Friday nights we have to eat earlier to get out the door for Awana. Needless to say, I felt like I needed to start pulling out the crock pot recipes in order to have things ready and keep things simple.

Luckily, I read this awesome recipe on Shawna's blog the other day for Taco Soup. Being a family that loves Mexican food we just had to try it. Well, it was FABULOUS! Course the girls didn't eat much of it but they aren't really soup eaters anyway. But I loved it! I threw everything in the crock pot mid-afternoon and it was all ready when we got home at 6:15. I served it with multigrain tostitos (they were VERY yummy!) and some shredded mexican cheese. This recipe is also low in fat ...and I substituted ground turkey since that was what I had on hand. Oh, for those that are new to the blogging world ... just click on the words taco soup and it will take you to Shawna's page for the recipe.

Next, I have to tell you about my latest and greatest dessert recipe. This one is healthy but also delicious! There are many combinations you can try with this but I'll tell ya my fave first.

1 (32 oz) container of lowfat PLAIN yogurt (I love Stonyfield Farm)
1 pkg fat free, sugar free instant pudding mix (the box of powder) I choose the Cheesecake flavor most often when making this.
1 can crushed pineapple (or other fruit of choice)

Mix all together, I drained most of the liquid from the pineapple first though. After it's all mixed put into an airtight container and refrigerate for awhile. You can eat it right away but I like to let it get really cold, it kind of "sets" like pudding too. It tastes like eating a yummy slice of cheesecake.

Some other combos are:
yogurt (I always start with the plain yogurt)
choc pudding mix
can of light cherry pie filling (tastes like black forest cake!)

yogurt
banana pudding
fresh strawberries

etc..... The possibilities are endless! Hope you enjoy!

No comments: